A risk assessment is an examination that is carried out by experts in the field in order to determine the various risks that may be presented to workers who work within the company.
The workers of the company are the ones who really know the conditions and the activities carried out within it. That is why there is no person more qualified to carry out this evaluative action than the worker himself. It should be noted that, not only must you work in the company but you must also have a specific study regarding the corresponding subject.
In this sense, two characteristics are essential when carrying out this type of evaluation, firstly, it must be a connoisseur of the subject and secondly , it must be carried out with the presence of at least one worker from the company where it is going to carry out such an evaluation.
A risk assessment must always go hand in hand with a preventive activity , since its purpose is to prevent accidents or occupational diseases from occurring, otherwise it would not make sense to carry out a risk assessment.
That is why a preventive evaluation should be the immediate to the risk assessment and should include all members of the company , from workers to managers or owners of the company.
Carrying out a risk assessment must be based on the legal regulations corresponding to each country. However, three fundamental aspects for an efficient risk assessment are:
- Preparation of the evaluation: in this stage the participants in the evaluation process are determined. It should include, as previously mentioned, workers and experts in the field. The corresponding information and training must be provided to be able to achieve the objective as well as the planning of the activities to carry out the evaluation.
- Execution of the risk assessment : in this part of the process, the spaces, machines and workplaces that are going to be reviewed and evaluated, as well as the training of personnel and the execution of the preventive measures that are going to be taken into account, must be taken into account. consider.
- Documented record of the risk evaluation: after carrying out the corresponding evaluations and executions, the realization of said activities should be reflected in physical form as well as the actions to be taken into account in order to carry out the risk evaluation effectively and optimally. In the spaces or workstations where improvements have to be made, they must be reflected and properly documented in order for it to be carried out.
Risk assessment example
How a documented risk assessment should be formed
- Methodology applied for risk assessment:
- Contaminant type characteristics
- Amounts used
- Cycle of use in the facilities:
- Entrance to the facilities
- Conditions and form of employment
- Exit from the facilities
- First phase
- Training for participants in the development of the project
- Risk assessment for occupational health
- Risk assessment for the environment
- Second stage
- Selection and evaluation of jobs
- Survey implementation and implementation
- Third phase
- Preparation and implementation of a preventive campaign
- Fourth phase
- Carrying out and implementing a survey in the second phase
- Realization of risk identification map
- Fifth phase
- Analysis and conclusion of results
- Requirements and Observations Practice
- Preventive plan, etc.