For those not on the list, the IBAN may be optional or not required (for example, the US).
If the IBAN is missing or incorrect, the receiving bank may charge a fee and your IMT may be rejected. These charges can be deducted from your payment or returned to you.
What is an IBAN?
IBAN stands for “International Bank Account Number” and it is a number attached to all accounts in the EU countries plus Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Hungary.
The IBAN is made up of a code that identifies the country to which the account belongs, the bank of the account holder and the account number. The IBAN makes cross-border payment processing easy and fast.
How is an IBAN built?
The number comprises a maximum of 34 alphanumeric characters, which are structured as follows:
- Two letters representing the country of origin of the bank holding the account (ISO 3166 country code with two letters, for example IE for Ireland)
- Two numbers that are a control key.
- Maximum of 30 alphanumeric characters that identify the bank and the ordinary account number
(do not include spaces or hyphens) An IBAN is required for the following countries:
- Austria (20 characters) AT611904300234573201
- Belgium (16 characters) Be68539007547034
- Bosnia and Herzegovina (20 characters) BA391290079401028494
- Bulgaria (22 characters) BG80BNBG96611020345678
- Croatia (21 characters) HR1210010051863000160
- Cyprus (28 characters) CY17002001280000001200527600
- Czech Republic (24 characters) CZ6508000000192000145399
- Denmark (18 characters) DK5000400440116243
- Estonia (20 characters) EE382200221020145685
- Finland (18 characters) FI2112345600000785
- France (27 characters) FR1420041010050500013M02606
- Germany (22 characters) DE89370400440532013000
- Greece (27 characters) GR1601101250000000012300695
- Hungary (28 characters) HU42117730161111101800000000
- Ireland (22 characters) IE29AIBK93115212345678
- Italy (27 characters) IT60X0542811101000000123456
- Luxembourg (20 characters) LU280019400644750000
- Macedonia (19 characters) MK07300000000042425
- Malta (31 characters) MT84MALT011000012345MTLCAST001S
- Mauritius (30 characters) MU56BOMM0101123456789101000000
- Netherlands (18 characters) NL91ABNA0417164300
- Norway (15 characters) NO9386011117947
- Poland (28 characters) PL27114020040000300201355387
- Portugal (25 characters) PT50000201231234567890154
- Saudi Arabia (24 characters) SA0380000000608010167519
- Serbia and Montenegro (22 characters) CS73260005601001611379
- Slovak Republic (24 characters) SK3112000000198742637541
- Slovenia (19 characters) SI56191000000123438
- Spain (24 characters) ES8023100001180000012345
- Sweden (24 characters) SE3550000000054910000003
- Switzerland (21 characters) CH3900700115201849173
- Turkey (26 characters) TR330006100519786457841326
- Israel (23 characters) IL620108000000099999999
- Pakistan (24 characters) PK36SCBL0000001123456702