The main element of survival is the threat to life itself. Survival is an act of its own and almost inherent in the human being, since within its programming and its DNA there will always be the desire to stay alive and avoid the risk of death as many times as possible.
Some people, in order to be prepared for unexpected events , try to put together their own survival kit. This in order to avoid any affection to his own life or that of those who accompany him.
A survival kit, in order to be classified as such, must have elements such as:
- Well stored and bottled water. It is recommended that it preferably be boiled previously.
- Pre-manufactured food, that is, canned food that can be stored for a long period of time.
- A manual can opener for easy access to stored food.
- Flashlights and batteries for the dark.
- Portable radio that contains a couple of extra batteries.
- A first aid bag or bag with basic items to be able to attend in an emergency.
- Emergency spare parts for motor vehicles.
- Emergency plan
- Personal hygiene items
- Garbage bags
- Toilet paper
- Cleaning tools
- Sleeping bags
- Extra clothes
- Candles and matches or lighter.
- A water purifier, if you do not have potable water and you are near a source or flow of non-potable water.
In the event that the affected person or that their life is at risk, without having the aforementioned elements , they generally provide themselves with elements that they have on hand to be able to cope with the risk and get out of the situation that affects their life.
In some cases, there are elements such as survival techniques that allow the affected person to be able to resolve the situation that arises depending on the circumstances in which they find themselves.
Survival techniques are, as the word expresses it, elements or lessons that are acquired after studies carried out, which allow that, in an emergency, a person does not panic and can solve the situation and get out of danger . Generally these techniques are used for people who carry out risky activities, military personnel, firefighters or people who generally work in such areas.
Examples of survival
- When a person is locked up after an earthquake and uses their tools to get out or at least be alive for as long as possible.
- In the case of landslides, when they are unable to access an open space and use tools that allow them to prolong their life.
- When they are stranded at sea and use maneuvers that allow them to be rescued.
- When a person gets lost in a forest and uses the elements at hand to feed himself, protect himself and survive.
- An American who manages to survive eating only leaves, insects and river water for six days, after falling into a ravine.
- After a plane crash in 1971, after having collapsed after a lightning strike, the plane fell and only a 17-year-old girl survived. After wandering through the forest with open wounds, she managed to reach a cabin where she was finally cared for and was able to survive.
- Aron Ralston, a 27-year-old hiker, in April 2003 went on a hike alone in the canyon of Utah and by accident, a rock fell on his arm, making mobility impossible and leaving him trapped for approximately 5 days. This young man without water and with severe hallucinations, realized that the only way to get out was by cutting his arm, which he did and thanks to this he was able to survive.
- Colin Jones, an Australian miner, in June 2003 was trapped a mile and a half underground and the tractor he was driving stuck his hand between the mine wall and the tractor. After asking a colleague to amputate his hand, he ended up doing it himself with a knife. After this, they managed to survive.
- In February 2009, four athletes were stranded in the ocean and the boat they were in capsized and turned over. The passengers were inside the boat that was upside down and after two days each of the group members began to succumb. The only one who remained alive was Nick Schuyler, a personal trainer who was with them.
- A British hiker was lost in an Australian forest as a result of disorientation which allowed him to wander off the trail. He was lost in the forest for 12 days and survived by feeding on what he found in the forest and sheltering himself with tree bark.