It is a type of diet that is frequently prepared by specialists in health fields in order to help patients recover after a surgical intervention or during a treatment focused on the digestive system, although it can be used in other cases.
As its name suggests, this type of diet is based on the intake of foods that are easy to chew and that its digestion requires minimal effort for the muscles of the digestive system and this implies the absence of foods high in fat, sugar , condiments and other elements that can cause some type of irritation in the digestive system.
The soft diets tend to include foods high in fiber as are fruits and vegetables, seeds, legumes and cereals. There are also foods with a good protein content such as meat, eggs, fish, dairy products, soups and to a certain extent desserts, drinks such as infusions and water are also essential, soda, coffee and alcohol are totally excluded.
Examples of soft diets
A soft diet can be composed of various elements such as:
- Soup with noodles.
- Onion soup.
- Mashed potatoes.
- Lean meats
- White rice.
- Pasta and noodles.
- Applesauce, apricot, cherry, fruit salad, plums.
- Wheat bread, rye, cookies, cereals.
- Honey, jellies and jams.
- Boiled white rice
- steamed or boiled potatoes
- Steamed or boiled vegetables such as carrots, squash, or zucchini
- boiled wheat semolina
- baked, boiled, or grilled chicken
- baked, boiled, or grilled fish
- compote of fruits such as apple, pear, peach, peach, apricot, among others.
- Boiled eggs
- low-salt, unseasoned vegetable cream
- unseasoned, low-salt vegetable, fish, or chicken broths.
- Grated apple
- Toasted whole wheat bread
- digestive infusions
- fruit smoothie with no added sugar
- artisan turkey breast
An example of a combination of these elements that can contribute to a bland diet can be:
- toast with grilled chicken breast.
- infusions or hot tea
- Mid-morning or mid-afternoon:
- fruit compote without added sugar
- cooked apple or fruit
- white rice or mashed potatoes with steamed fish and vegetables accompanied with a grated apple
- Afternoon snack:
- fruit puree
- cream of vegetables or vegetable broth and low-salt chicken.
It is important to note that these diets, unlike the others, which are generally focused on weight loss and supplement for exercises and sports, this one in particular has the objective of strengthening the internal organs that have gone through a sensitive stage after some disease and most of them are usually controlled by doctors and nutritionists to avoid the misuse of these diets that can have negative effects on health.
There are two main types that are the astringent soft diets that are indicated to treat gastric problems and diarrhea while the soft diets for dysphagia are those indicated to treat problems related to the intake of solid foods.