English is considered a lingua franca, due to its direction when speaking and its grammatical conjugation. In addition, it is the official language of some international organizations such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the European Union.
Likewise, the English language is a tool that facilitates and allows communication with national and foreign people. This language has become the global language of communication, spread throughout the world for its excellence and universal use .
Using the gerund ing in the English language
All those who practice the English language, know that in a sentence the word verb must be present and that the ending “ing” is used precisely in verbs. Therefore, some phrases in the English language seem to have many more verbs than expected.
However, it is considered that some phrases in English, such as Iam looking forward to seeing you soon, represent the gerund that has been a non-finite form of the verb , since it uses the unconjugated verb to make a verb phrase that can serve as substitution to a noun phrase.
This is why it is said that the present participle is used, ending in “ing”, since most people who speak English know that the ing is accompanied by a verb and that verb is expressed in gerund, which is define as the form of the non-finite verb.
Finite verbs (conjugated verbs) always have a subject, which can change form and be used to make independent clauses, for example, They smile a lot. However, non-finite verbs (unconjugated verbs) cannot be abruptly changed.
Gerund verbs with ing
- Singing (singing)
- Going (going)
- Meeting (knowing)
- Spelling (spelling)
Examples of sentences with ing
- I am going to Mérida (I’m going to Mérida)
- I am sleeping all night
- Cindy is interesting and nice
- My teacher is going to take a vacation soon
- I am doing my work in the morning
- She is dancing in the party
- He is reading “One Hundred Years of Solitude ” (He is reading “One Hundred Years of Solitude)
- We are speaking English in the classroom
- They are wanting to go Europe
- Cristina and Renata are studing French
- My boss is going to give me a pay raise this week
- She is eating hot dog in the restaurant
- They are learning Spanish in the Academy
- He is opening the window in your house (He is opening the window in your house )
- She is drinking coffee with milk in the morning
- He is playing football next week
- She is coming here tomorrow morning (She will come here tomorrow morning
- Connie is going to type the letter
- Walter is watching television this evening
- I go shopping to buy some new records
- My brother is buying a car next week
- I finish work at about ten thirty in the evening, then have dinner with friends.
- Movie theaters usually open in the morning
- I sometimes read the newspaper in the evening… if I have time.
- Sue often works in the evening
- You were moving when I took the photograph
- Cars were very slow. Roads were not very good, and driving was not always safe. (The cars were very slow, the roads were not very good and driving was not always safe)
- Peter is helping to grandmother in the supermarket
- Were are going there next week
- They are watching the movie in the mall
- Mary is studying English in the High School
- Peter is living in Peru with your wife (Pedro is living in Peru with his beautiful wife)