Through onanism the sexual organs are stimulated in order to achieve sexual pleasure individually or as a couple without the need for sexual intercourse to be carried out completely. Previously this term was used in order to imply that the sexual act was going to be enjoyed but it did not end with ejaculation within the female reproductive system.
Origin of onanism
Onanism derives from the word Onan . In the bible it is related that Onan, son of Judah , had to marry his brother’s wife due to his death, all in accordance with the law of the Jews. According to this law, if Onan had a son with Tamar, his brother’s widow, this son would not be considered his but his brother’s, which unquestionably implied displacement in the hereditary succession.
That is why, when he was together with his current wife Tamar , Onán practiced coitus interruptus in order to prevent her from getting pregnant. According to what is written in the bible, when God saw this action, he decided to kill Onan and with the passage of time this action began to be associated with masturbation since, like this, semen is wasted and is not used for the purpose that is supposed to have been created and is to procreate.
Although we know that the world has changed a lot regarding beliefs throughout history, we know that this issue does not escape from that reality. Previously talking about onanism or masturbation was considered a taboo subject , however, today, it is even considered a natural behavior.
Experts have determined that it is not only positive to perform masturbation or onanism, but also that it has benefits such as:
- The person has a clear perspective of their body. In this sense, the sexual act will be much more pleasant since you already know what you like and what you don’t like.
- It is a form of relaxation.
- Some doctors claim that masturbating helps prevent prostate cancer.
- It prevents you from suffering from incontinence and contributes to the increase in sexual potency. In this sense, it is important to point out that everything in excess is harmful to health since, in the case of masturbation, it can generate mental and social problems if this practice is carried out very frequently.
- Contributes to the strengthening of the immune system.
- Helps release dopamine.
- It considerably improves the mood of the person who practices it.
It is important to note that, despite the fact that it is a topic that can be discussed today without inconvenience, many religions still see this practice as a sin or an improper act. That is why, in many religious groups this practice is prohibited for their believers.