The martial arts are a set of traditional techniques and methods that have been developed to fight and protect themselves from the opponent during combat. There are many styles of martial arts in which the use of firearms is not present. His vision is focused on the correct harmony between body, mind and spirit.
The origin of martial arts cannot be explained exactly, since this art dates back to the origins of mankind. However, fighting is considered to be the oldest combat method.
Classification of Martial Arts
In general, martial arts could be divided into two large groups: system with weapons and system without weapons .
Each type of martial art has a type of main weapon, systems with weapons can use instruments such as: sword, bow, spear, staff, knife, mace, chain, among others.
Unarmed systems have the body itself as its main combat instrument. Using punches, kicks, open hand blows, strangles, grabs, among others.
- Karate: it is perhaps one of the best known and practiced martial arts throughout the world. In Japanese, karate means ” empty hand .” Being in Japan , specifically on the island of Okinawa, where this art originates. Karate is characterized by blocks, kicks, slaps and punches, given in order to defeat the opponent with the use of few blows.
- Judo: this type of martial art has its origin in Japan and in it the weight and strength of the opponent is not important to be able to defeat him. In judo scanning system and tumbad is used or , in other words, the very strength of the opponent is used to take him down and defeat him.
- Kung-fu: this Chinese martial art is one of the oldest and best known. It is characterized by being a direct contact discipline. Kung fu was created by the Buddhist monk Bodhidharma, with the intention that his students could better concentrate during meditation.
- Jiu-jitsu: it is a Japanese martial art which does not use weapons. Aims to control and dodge the opponent’s attacks. Taking advantage of his attacks to immobilize him.
- Tae Kwon Do: this Korean martial art is characterized by making greater use of kicks and blows with the feet and legs than by the use of hands.
Examples of martial arts
- Muay thai
- Krav maga
- Qui gong
- Tai Chi
- Kick boxing
- Greco-Roman fight
- Wing chun