The parts of long bones are their ends which have a shape that allows them to connect to other bones in the body, their body or diaphysis and the metaphysis which is the part that serves as a union, they are also made up of red and yellow bone marrow This type of bones are generally located in the extremities of the body such as arms and legs, but those of the patella and those in the ankle and wrist are not considered. In summary, the main function of the long bones can be defined as being a kind of «lever arm».
Examples of long bones:
- Sternum: Located in the chest and with an approximate length of 10 centimeters.
- Ulna: It is located on the forearm and measures about 28 centimeters.
- Humerus: It is located on the arm and measures about 36 centimeters.
- Femur: It is located in the thigh and measures 50 centimeters.
- Radius: It is on the outside of the forearm and can measure 26 centimeters.
- The seventh and eighth rib: They measure 23 and 24 centimeters respectively.
- Iliac: It is in the sacrum and makes up the pelvic area, it can measure 18 centimeters.