The word itself originates from Sanskrit and translated into our language means “action” or “fact” and is a term used in Buddhism and Hinduism, although it is currently known and accepted by much of society.
It basically consists in that “for every action there is a reaction of equivalent energy and that it is conducted in the opposite direction.”
In some religions, Karma is an energy that is generated based on the actions of each person and is a crucial factor for the following reincarnations and it is believed that in each reincarnation the level is raised or lowered according to Karma and the idea is reach a level of perfection.
On the other hand, from a more physical point of view in Buddhism and Hinduism, it is believed that the law of Karma adjusts the effect to the cause, which we could understand as the fact that the good or bad things that happen to us in life or in the following (for those who believe in reincarnation) is governed based on our Karma, in different religions this is known as “divine justice” .
Examples of Karma
- “There is a person who lives in the Santhigiri Ashram in Pothencode, Trivandrum, in the state of Kerala, South India. He had the enormous fortune to meet Guru Navajyothisri Karunakara around September 1998. This man of Christian origin had been applying for work in many places, however he had not had any luck, despite the great effort put into trying to achieve his mission. He met Guru Navajyothisri Karunakara and talked to Him about his problem, so this great spiritual master, seeing the interior of his soul, could realize a lack of baghyam – good luck that is stored in the soul throughout of several lives, as a consequence of doing good deeds-, for which he advised him to stay in the Ashram for a while, to carry out certain karmas indicated by that great being, and also so that he could follow a correct spiritual practice, based on the absolute knowledge and experience possessed by a fully enlightened Guru. All this would help to purify the soul of this brother and also to increase his baghyam, so that in this way, obediently following the instructions of the Guru, the problem could be solved, through personal effort and the grace of the Guru. “
- «When doing good deeds, the effects of the baghyam stored in your soul become patent in a certain period of your existence; this moment is determined by our Creator. This is the reason why you can see that some people have great luck; When they undertake a business, or any other task, generally sooner or later, they are successful, however, conversely, others, no matter how hard they try, do not succeed. Some are born into wealthy families, but others are born poor and some even become beggars. Certain individuals have the baghyam to find a true spiritual master, a Guru; This is the greatest luck that a person can have in his life, because following the advice of this great being and manifesting a firm faith, devotion and abandonment towards Him,
- “A person came to Santhigiri Ashram seeking the advice of Guru Navajyothisri Karunakara. This brother had a problem with his health; He had developed asthma in adulthood, so he asked the Guru what to do to overcome this problem. When the Guru saw inside his soul, he realized that in the past this person had trapped a small mouse and imprisoned it inside a glass vessel, with the purpose of seeing the poor animal gradually suffocate until it reached death. . Hearing the Guru’s words, this brother recalled the incident that had occurred in his youth and related it to the Guru in great detail. Due to this lack, this person developed an asthmatic condition, as a result of wrong behavior. “
- «There is another case of a woman who could not get pregnant, so she asked the Guru what to do to solve her problem. The Guru saw in her soul, realizing that in a previous life she had brutally killed a cow, therefore the effect of this unjust action manifested itself in this life, giving rise to the sterility of this woman. “
- When good deeds are done, without expecting a contribution in return, good things usually happen.