When we indicate in the curriculum that we are proficient in English, it is best to indicate the percentage of proficiency and where we learned it. If we have a certification it would be an excellent one, since they are titles that work in any territory because they are globally established and endorsed by almost 10,000 prestigious universities and quality institutions.
In the case of English, Cambridge has used for decades a methodology that establishes learning levels in which people acquire knowledge, more complex each time.
One of the levels is B1 or intermediate , which is passed by taking the B1 Preliminary or PET exam
What are preliminary b1 exams?
It is an intermediate level test that consists of three parts. In it, writing, reading and conversation are evaluated:
Reading & Writing: consists of 8 exercises and lasts 1 hour and 30 minutes. It represents 50% of the final grade. Understands:
- Multiple response exercise about the content of a text (reading comprehension).
- Exercise where we must join texts according to their meaning
- After reading a text, we must indicate whether the given statements are true or false.
- Another multiple response exercise about the content of a text (reading comprehension).
- A text with blank spaces to place the most correct option among the 4 different ones that will be available.
- Phrase with a space where we must write one or two words that we believe are necessary for the phrase to make sense.
- Mandatory thematic question: we must write a text of 35 – 45 words on the pre-established topic.
- Optional thematic question: a 100-word text must be written about one of the proposed topics. There are several options.
Listening : consists of 4 exercises and lasts 36 minutes. It contributes 25% of the final grade.
- Exercise with bullet points or multiple-choice images on the content of different auditory fragments. You have to choose the most correct option.
- We will listen to an interview or conversation of approximately 3-4 minutes and we will have to answer 6 multiple-choice questions about its content.
- After listening to an audio fragment, we must fill in the soft spaces of a text.
- After listening to a conversation or interview, we must indicate whether the stated statements are true or false.
- Speaking: it consists of 4 exercises, is done in pairs and lasts 10 minutes. It represents the other 25% of the final grade.
Examples of Exam B1 Preliminary
- There are 60 questions in this quiz. Choose the correct answer.
________ is my iPod.
________ got a new mobile telephone.
I have you
I think English is ________ than maths.
- There are 7 questions in this quiz. Look at the signs and answer the questions
“Please stay out of the Grass.” Which sentence is true?
You must keep walking on the grass.
You must walk on the grass
You can’t walk on the grass
“School entrance ahead dead slow . ” Which sentence is true?
“Please closet he gate . ” Where would you NOT see this sign?
In a building.
In a playground.
In a field.