Sentences with negative was and were
When writing sentences, keep in mind that if it is the people of the present simple (I, he, she, it) they have to be accompanied with “was not” or “wasn’t”. And when it comes to people (you, we, they), “were not” or weren’t is used.
- I was not ready to take the exam. I was not prepared to take the exam.
- I was not the husband that she deserved. I wasn’t the husband she deserved
- You weren’t on the campaign trail last year. You were not campaigning last year.
- You weren’t the person I saw that night. You weren’t the person I saw that night.
- He wasn’t waiting for you until very late. He wasn’t waiting for you until very late.
- He was not bathing in the river. He was not bathing in the river.
- She was not tired but annoyed with the conductor. She was not tired but annoyed with the conductor.
- When he called her it wasn’t because he felt bad. When he called her, it wasn’t because he felt bad.
- You weren’t in baseball last season. You were not at the last baseball season.
- You were not selected. You weren’t selected.
- At that time you were not heeding the call. At that time you were not attentive to the call.
Interrogative sentences with was and were
To write negative interrogative sentences with was and were, you just have to write them before and according to each subject . Remember that was not and were not or their contractions is used.
- Wasn’t I in that report? I was not in that report?
- Weren’t you busy yesterday? Weren’t you busy yesterday?
- He wasn’t there last night? He was not there last night?
- Was she not in that coral? She wasn’t in that choir?
- Weren’t you those people you caught? Weren’t you those people they caught?
- We weren’t at that party ? We were not at that party?