It is a biome , a set of ecosystems that, despite not being located in the same space, share similar characteristics.
It is a cold and desert landscape , considered that way due to the low temperatures that represent it.
The tundra can be located in areas near the poles, or in high mountains . Its vegetation and the animals that inhabit it are not very varied due to its low temperatures.
They have very poor soils for agriculture, high temperatures, little rain and strong winds.
- They are found in areas of very high temperatures.
- It is mostly covered by a layer of ice.
- It is located in polar regions and high latitudes.
- Rainfall in this area is scarce.
- Its climate is constant for 6 to 10 months, being below zero most of the time.
- Its winters are long, cold, dry and very dark.
- The flowers grow in little or no soil.
- The plants are short in stature, which allows them to absorb the heat from the dark soil, preventing them from dying.
- Plants in the tundras usually grow together; this allows them to keep warm between them.
- The fauna in the tundra , over the years have adapted to a fairly strong climate, developing a thick layer of fat under their skin, and a thick coat.
- The tundra is made up of a mostly desert area , under a mountain range.
- During the summer vegetation and little flora will be observed, while during the winter everything will be covered by layers of snow.
- There are 3 types of tundra , namely:
- Arctic: It is located in the Northern Hemisphere, just below the Arctic ice sheets. Its subsoil layers are constantly frozen. There is no deep root system due to the poverty of its soils, despite that low plants and shrubs grow that have adapted to the fierce climate. Animals adapt to the climate, so their cycles to hibernate and reproduce are determined by what they do not adapt to carry out the migration process; because of this, the animal population is varied.
- Alpine: they are the high mountains located anywhere on earth. Due to its location at great heights above sea level, the vegetation, like the previous one, is scarce. Winters are long and temperatures are very low and can reach freezing at night. Animals, in the same way, have adapted to be able to survive in this environment.
- Antarctica: its ecosystem is one of the least common. They are located near the south pole, on the Antarctic continent and nearby islands. Plant life is very limited, located sun in specific areas. The only inhabiting mammals are seals and penguins.
- The greatest amount of carbon is found in the soils of the tundras.
- There is a phenomenon called the midnight sun, which is visualized in summer, where the sun remains on the horizon and barely sets.