The term baroque , occurred during the period after this. It was considered somewhat grotesque and exaggerated so the name is coined as a derogatory term.
Baroque art includes the years 1590 and 1720. This type of art reaches sculpture, architecture and painting , which is why it was defined as a cultural concept and not an artistic concept.
Its capacity to generate passion and emotion in the spectators, made of this genre, an art revalued and taken into account.
Characteristics of Baroque Literature
- Influenced by the Catholic Counter-Reformation.
- It arose in opposition to Protestantism and Lutheranism.
- His view of the world is depressed and pessimistic.
- In her arose the novel, the theater and the poetry.
- It is based on doubt, prudence and disappointment.
Characteristics of Baroque painting
- Represents through painting, things as they are, including in it their unpleasant and pleasant aspects.
- The compositions are less and less symmetrical and not very serene.
- And characterized by religious themes, portraiture, mythology, court scenes and images of common life.
- A mixture of intense darkness and radiant light is applied .
- It has emotion and intensity.
- The development of the art called “still life” begins
Characteristics of Baroque architecture
- The ornaments and decorations on facades and interiors are overflowing .
- Consumption of rich materials to generate ostentation in the viewer.
- They have borders .
- Solomonic colonnades predominate .
- The lighting effects are predominant through facades with different depths.
- The curved lines are in public buildings and decorations.
Characteristic of Baroque Sculpture
- The details of the human body are depicted with meticulous caution.
- The realism is always present in the characters.
- The gestures were endowed with a lot of theatricality .
- They focused intensely on capturing the psychology of the characters.
- All sculpture has mobility, vitality and energy.
- The figures are intertwined with each other , forming complex compositions between them.
- Mixtures of lights and shadows are generated through the clothing of the figures and gestures.
- The portraits and mythological scenes were the most representative of the time.